We make them every year, but can we keep them?
Some studies show that more than 90% of people don’t keep the resolutions they make. Some experts suggest setting more realistic goals and not limiting yourself to a once-a-year, do-or-die approach that may be hard to maintain.
This year, we wanted to send a long a few of our favorite – and easy – resolutions to help you start the New Year off right, stay healthy and get you and your family in tip-top shape.
- Eat better – Some cool ideas include:
- Try setting aside one or a few days a week for family night when the entire family gets together for a healthy, home cooked meal. Eating in will save you money, allow you to cook with fresh fruits and veggies and spend some quality time with your family.
- Start a garden in your backyard.
- Spend one day a week at the Farmer’s Market. If you bring your children, challenge them to find a new fruit or vegetable every time you go.
- Do a recipe exchange with friends to find new recipes or twists on traditional meals.
- Shed pounds the easy way – Make simple changes in your lifestyle to become more active, such as:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- If possible, ride the bike to and from work
- Park your car at the far end of the parking lot – but make sure you choose a brightly lit area.
- If you ride a bus or subway, get off one stop before your destination and walk the rest of the way.
- Play with your kids by running around the backyard, playing ball or even playing sports with them on the Wii.
- Cut down on stress by doing what you love:
- Volunteer for your favorite cause
- Make sure to take at least 10 minutes a day doing something for yourself – watch TV, read, meditate, etc.
- Laugh every day.
- Get together with friends.
- Host a dinner party and invite people to bring a donation for a local charity. It’s not only fun but a great way to serve some healthy and delicious foods and raise money for an important cause.